Work in Canada after Graduation
Working in Canada after Graduation:
If you want to work after completing your studies in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit. The following programs can help facilitate this process for eligible candidates:
The Post-Graduate Work Program
This is the program that allows international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution (University or College) to gain valuable Canadian work experience through a special work permit issued for the length of the study program, up to 3 years.
You will be Eligible if you:
- Studied full time in Canada.
- Graduated from a public post-secondary institution, a private post-secondary institution, or a private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
- Studied in a program that was at least 8 months long.
- Applied for the work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation that you have completed your academic program.
- Have received notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate.
- Have a valid study permit when you apply.
The Canadian Experience Class
This program allows international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution (University or College) to apply to permanently stay in Canada. In order to qualify, you must already be familiar with Canadian society, be able to communicate in English or French, have qualifying work experience, and also be able to contribute to the Canadian economy.
You will be eligible if you:
- Plan to live outside of the province of Quebec.
- Graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least 1 year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada.
- Gained work experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization.
- Submitted your application while working in Canada - or - within 1 year of leaving your job in Canada.
- Have completed an independent language assessment (from an agency designated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada).
Please go to the CIC website, which is www.cic.gc.ca for information regarding immigration programmes or to access immigration application forms.